Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 44 – Angels Landing - Zion National Park, Utah

Sunday, October 24th, 2010

Here's a link to a map of Zion National Park.

I hopped on board the free shuttle this morning around 9:30 and rode it to the Grotto stop. This stop along the six mile canyon road provides access to the Grotto and Kayenta trails, both of which I did yesterday, and the most well known trail at Zion National Park, Angels Landing. Angels Landing was closed yesterday for repair work so today was my chance to see it for myself.

Today was mostly overcast and fairly cool, in the upper 50s. An extra layer of clothing was needed this morning but it was quickly shed once I began walking. The Zion brochure ranks Angels landing in the strenuous hike category with a total round trip distance of 5.4 miles and a 1,488’ elevation gain. This trail probably gets its notoriety from the amazing 360 panoramic views at the summit but also because of the many lives that have been lost here, the most recent being this past April. It’s a plenty safe hike to do if you are careful and aware of your surroundings; however, some people unfortunately are not.

The trail is fairly steep but it’s paved a good portion of the way. It zig-zags back and forth as it winds its way up the high rock walls. There is one section called Walter’s Wiggles where the trail switchbacks 21 times, with not more than 20 paces before it again changes direction, almost 180 degrees. After Walter’s Wiggles, the next significant milestone is Scout Lookout. This is where many people, even with the best intentions of summiting Angels Landing, have their first peak at what lies ahead and decide to turn around. The end of Angels Landing is only 0.5 miles from Scout Lookout, but it is also the most challenging. The path to the top at 5,785’ is littered with obstacles such as boulders to maneuver over and around, slippery sandstone slopes and narrow paths, in some places only 3-4 feet wide, separating you from 1,200’ near vertical drop offs on either side. In recent years, trail crew have installed heavy gauge chains as a safety device in some of the more dangerous sections, even still, this is not for anyone fearful of heights.

I made it to the top and it wasn’t as bad as some people have made it out to be. I videotaped the last 0.5 miles from Scout Lookout to the top of Angels Landing so hopefully sometime soon I will have access to a fast internet connection to upload the file. It was definitely a trail worth hiking and just about anyone can do it if they’re careful and they don’t get freaked out by being on the edge of some very steep cliffs.

I decided to only do one hike today. After Angels Landing, I drove back to the town of Hurricane which I passed through on my way from Vegas to Zion. I remembered a Wal-Mart being there and I was running low on supplies. Things like batteries, energy bars, cookies, peanut butter and crackers, cans of chili, pudding, you know, all the good stuff that doesn’t go bad without refrigeration. While driving to Wal-Mart I found a public grounds area where I saw a few tents set up so I will go and check that out later tonight. It looks a little sandy but there are plenty of trees and it’s right on the edge of the river.

Tomorrow morning I am planning on doing the Observation Point trail via the East Rim trail. It's eight miles and should take about five hours. After that I think I will be on my way to Bryce Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment